Thursday, 03 December 2020
The PhD in Medical Sciences:
The University of Nicosia Medical School offers the degree PhD in Medical Sciences. The degree is awarded to students who successfully complete an independent research programme that breaks new ground in the chosen field of study. The PhD programme aspires to empower students to become independent researchers, thus advancing innovation and development.
The Research Project:
We are currently inviting application through a competitive process for high calibre candidates to apply for one PhD Scholarship in the field of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Health Care. The successful candidate will enrol on the PhD programme in Medical Sciences at the University of Nicosia Medical School.
Project description: AI Predictive Models in Health Care
The project will involve the analysis and cross-correlation of a vast amount of collected health data records (e.g. telemetric wearable data such as heart rate, blood pressure, ECG, oxygen saturation sleep stages and physical activity, along with patient histories, laboratory results, etc.) aiming at producing actionable insights and risk assessments in areas like cardiovascular diseases, sleep apnoea, asthma, anxiety, infection onset etc. The relevant analysis will involve AI predictive models which will be constructed using a variety of parameters and will be able to learn and improve over time from new data and experiences.
The Scholarship will have a duration of three to four years and will cover:
- The tuition fees for the PhD programme which are €13,500 for the first 3 years and €1,500 for year 4.
- A monthly stipend of €1,000 for the duration of three to four years.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Eligible Candidates should hold (or hold by the time that the programme is expected to commence i.e. February 2021) a recognised degree (a Bachelor’s degree or a degree equivalent for entry to a Master’s Degree) and a Master’s degree in Artificial Intelligence or in a related field.
Application for the PhD Scholarship:
Candidates should submit an online application through the link: https://www.med.unic.ac.cy/education/phd-in-medical-sciences/ and attach the following supporting documents:
- A cover letter clearly stating that they apply for the PhD Scholarship in AI in Medical Care.
- Copies of the applicant’s qualifications/degree(s) – the application can be assessed with scanned copies, but certified true copies must be provided if the candidate is successful and prior to enrolment on the PhD programme.
- Copies of the applicant’s transcript(s) – the application can be assessed with scanned copies, but certified true copies must be provided if the candidate is successful and prior to enrolment on the PhD programme.
- Proof of English language proficiency: the candidate should have either completed previous degree(s) in an English-speaking country or should have passed IELTS (score of 7 overall, with a minimum score of 7 in writing) or should have achieved an equivalent score in an internationally recognized English language qualification.
- Two reference letters, of which at least one should be from an academic.
- A full Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Applications should be submitted online by Wednesday December 30, 2020 at 5pm. Only fully completed applications, containing all necessary supporting documents will be reviewed.
Only candidates who are shortlisted will be contacted and invited to an interview.