Medical School at a Glance
Over the past two decades, the University of Nicosia has led the development of life and health sciences programmes in Cyprus. The University of Nicosia started the first medical programme in Cyprus in 2011 by offering the St George’s, University of London Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) graduate-entry programme.
Our Medical School, the largest in the country offers three medical programmes and four postgraduate degrees:
• Doctor of Medicine (MD), a 6-year undergraduate-entry degree
• Graduate Entry – Doctor of Medicine Degree (GEMD), an MD degree programme designed for those holding university degrees in any field
• St George’s, University of London Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS),a 4-year graduate-entry British medical degree quality assured by the UK General Medical Council and awarded by St George’s, University of London
• Master of Public Health (MPH), a fully online degree for working professionals and new graduates
• Master in Family Medicine (MSc FM), a degree for practising doctors delivered entirely online
• Master of Science in Health Services Administration (MScHSA), a fully online degree for working professionals and new graduates
• Doctorate in Medical Sciences (PhD), for research in all disciplines of Medicine
More than 1000 students from 90 countries around the world are enrolled in our Medical School, coming from as far away as the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
In addition to our achievements in medical education and research, you also benefit from world-class faculty members, experienced and supportive staff, international partnerships, and state-of-the-art facilities and learning resources. The student-centred curriculum allows for the early development of clinical skills and reasoning, and promotes collaborative learning, critical thinking and reflection, skills that are essential for your future career in medicine.
Our graduates are practising physicians across the world, including the USA, Canada, UK, Australia other EU countries, Israel and Lebanon.
University of Nicosia
The University of Nicosia (UNIC) is the largest university in Southern Europe that teaches primarily in English, with more than 14,000 students from over 100 countries coming together in an innovative and transformative learning space. Located in Nicosia, the country’s capital, and with a presence in 18 other cities worldwide, we are driven by our pursuit of excellence in teaching and learning, innovation, research, technology, and a continually evolving academic environment. We empower our students and instil in them the confidence to make an impact in the world.
The latest edition of the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings, released on 12 October 2022, reaffirms the University of Nicosia’s (UNIC) global standing, ranking it among the Top 501-600 universities in the world. Correspondingly, UNIC ranks 157th in the European Union, 2nd in Cyprus and 4th among the Cypriot and Greek Universities.
The THE World University Rankings (WUR) is possibly the best-known and most influential university rankings in the world, benchmarking institutions across their core missions: Teaching, Research, Knowledge Transfer, and International Outlook. The expanded THE WUR 2023 edition includes 1,799 ranked research-intensive universities, out of more than 25,000 universities globally, that met the THE eligibility criteria and applied for assessment.
One of the core areas in which the University demonstrably continues to excel in the THE WUR is International Outlook, where UNIC ranked 47th globally.
The results of this year’s World University Rankings are the latest in a succession of distinctions bestowed on UNIC by Times Higher Education. Along with its inclusion in the Top 501-600 universities in the world (THE WUR table), UNIC was ranked:
- 179th among the universities in the world that are 50 years old or younger by the 2022 THE Young University Rankings;
- 122nd among the universities of countries or regions classified by the London Stock Exchange’s FTSE Group as “Emerging” by the 2022 THE Emerging Economies Rankings;
- Among the Top 151–175 in the world in Business and Economics, and among the Top 176–200 universities in the world in Education.
- Top 251–300 universities in the world for Psychology
- Top 501–600 universities in the world for Clinical and Health
- Top 501–600 universities in the world for Social Sciences
- 36th in the world in the core area of Quality Education by the 2022 THE Impact Rankings.